Wednesday, January 12, 2011

Body Bugged

Until now I never knew losing weight was so scientific, I just thought you ate less and moved more.

Although that statement still stands true, there are many ways to ensure you are getting the most out of your workouts and meeting your goals.

Calorie tracking, calorie burning, and heart rate monitoring are vital when trying to lose weight. If you have no idea how many calories you've ingested or burned then it's all a guessing game. Plus monitoring your heart rate and keeping it at the peak fat burning rate makes sure you're getting the most bang for your buck.

I am now the proud owner of two little gizmos that I have fallen in love with.

The first is the Body Bugg



This is the most reliable, accurate, and informative calorie management tracker out there. You've probably seen all the Biggest Loser contestants wearing them.

This device is to be worn on the upper arm at all times, except while showering. It's a little uncomfortable at first, but now I'm used to it. I thought it would look like a cigarette pack rolled up in my sleeve, which would have been awesome, see how cool he looks?



But unfortunately no one can tell you're wearing it.

The body bugg tracks how many calories you burn throughout the day, how many steps you take and how many minutes of activity you do. It is over 90% accurate.

You set targets you want to hit throughout the day and the bugg lets you know how you're doing. For example, I need to burn 4500 calories per day to meet my set goal. So I enter 4500 in the target section and so far today I have burned 1894.

It links up via a USB cord to your computer and tracks your progress, also the software allows you to log your food intake for the day and gives you a breakdown of calories consumed vs. burned. It is so awesome.

I was a little wary of it at first because it is a little costly, but I am a true believer now.

The other gadget is the Polar Heart Rate Monitor.



This monitors heart rate and also tracks calories burned. The Body Bugg does not monitor heart rate. Heart rate is such an essential part to working out. There are places online where you put your body info (i.e. weight, height, etc) and they tell you your ideal heart rate for fat loss. Or if you want a more reliable source, talk to a trainer or doctor.

I was surprised to find that my heart rate did not have to be super high to burn fat. In fact, on my first workout, I pretty much walked and my heart rate was at the perfect rate.

I think this is one deterrent that keeps folks from working out, especially if they are overweight and haven't moved in a while. It's amazing how little you have to do in that first week to get the heart rate up and lose weight.

So now when I head to the gym I am more robotic than man. :)

The Body Bugg goes on the upper left arm, and it's corresponding watch goes on the left wrist. The heart monitor goes around the chest and it's corresponding watch goes on the other wrist.

I feel like Dolph Lundgren in Rocky IV.. haha



These gadgets have been so helpful, I hope you find them helpful too.

3 comments:

  1. K please explain why the Body Bugg is so much better than the Polar. Is the Polar not accurate at all? It think it's crazy how expensive the Bugg is since you have to pay so much more for the watch, while the Polar comes with it included, for much much cheaper.

    4500 CALORIES A DAY??? My goal is 1700! haha

    P.S. Don't respond to me here. Hopefully you get your comments emailed to you so you can just reply and answer me.

    ReplyDelete
  2. P.P.S. It's means it is. You're welcome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Kari--I bought my body bugg on KSL for cheap! Just in case you're interested, it's really eye opening to see how much you're consuming and burning.

    GO JARED! HOPE ALL IS WELL!

    ReplyDelete