Thursday, January 20, 2011

Mind over Matter



The mind is an amazing thing.. I think we all agree on that.

Sometimes it can be a real pain though.

I've especially noticed this since I have began working out every day. It is so important that I have the correct mindset going in to a workout, and even more important to have the correct mindset during the workout..

If I think about the exercise I'm doing at the time, especially if it's getting tough, I find it hard to finish. I begin to count each second, and as I do, the seconds become longer and longer.

Like planks for example. We do planks for 1 minute each. Which is a long time if you aren't used to doing them. If I think about doing planks, while doing planks. It is the longest minute ever.. EVER!

I've learned a few techniques to take my mind off the exercise I am doing, which in turn makes it a lot easier to do.

1. Talk to your workout buddy. You'll find that if you're talking, that tough exercise flies right by.

2. Listen to music and sing a long.

3.Focus your eyes on something in front of you and take your mind to someplace totally different. Kind of like Happy Gilmore's "Happy Place" haha. Think about a vacation you want to take and how good you will look when you've dropped the weight.

Or ya know when you're bored, or driving alone in the car and you just begin thinking about whatever... Well this is the perfect time to do that.

Of course it is important to remember to not let your exercise become sloppy as you begin to think about something else.

These tips have helped me immensely. If you take you're mind out of it and let the body do the work, you will be surprised how much more you can do.

No comments:

Post a Comment