Monday, January 31, 2011

Plateaus


Last week I worked hard... Didn't cheat on calories... Did two a days at the gym...

and the result..

1 lb.

My initial reaction was anger, but after thinking about it and getting a pep talk from Kamie I am now motivated to work even harder this week.

I guess there could be a couple reasons for the low number.

1. I've been doing a lot of strength training lately which is building muscle.

2. It was just a good ole plateau.

Plateaus are expected to happen to anyone who is losing weight. So it was only a matter of time before it happened to me. I just didn't think it would be this soon.

Plateauing can be seen in two ways.. A stumbling block, or a milestone.

I think most people view it as a stumbling block. I did.

Until I found this explanation...

I found a remark by everyone's favorite doctor, Dr. Phil, regarding plateaus.

He said plateaus should be viewed as a milestone, because the body is losing so much weight it has to shut down for a bit to re-adjust itself to function at the lighter weight.

Makes sense right???

I think so.

So the next time this happens, I know that I have lost enough weight for the body to stop and re-adjust itself.

When viewed in that light, it makes me excited for the next one.

1 comment:

  1. So then if you keep doing everything just as you already are, will you start losing again, or do you have to adjust what you're doing to get past the plateau?

    ReplyDelete